Seeking a dynamic Acting Director of Lifespan Religious Education (DLRE) to provide transitional leadership for our strong and thriving Lifespan Religious Education program for the 2014-2015 church year. With primary focus on the management of our program, the Acting DLRE will report to our Senior Minister and will also work closely with our Assistant Minister, Music Director and other FUSN staff to integrate the religious education. For a complete job description and instructions on how to apply, click here.
Seeking a part-time Music Director September 2014 through mid-June 2015 with an option for renewal. The candidate must be an accomplished pianist able to play a variety of styles of music and also be an experienced choral director. An ability to play the organ is a plus. For complete job description and instructions on how to apply, click here.
Seeking a part-time administrative assistant starting in April or May 2014. Reports to the Church Administrator. Desired hours: 10/week Mon-Fri, 11 months/year. Pay range: $14 - $16 per hour. For complete job description, skill requirements, and instructions on how to apply, click here.
The Youth Group Program Coordinator will meet weekly with the youth (which is central to this position), collaborate with the Youth/Adult Leadership Advisory Committee (YAC), interface with the Director of Religious Education, the minister, and church staff to provide interesting and varied programming based on the 8 aspects of balanced youth ministry suggested by UUA guidelines:http://www.uua.org/documents/lfd/ministry_wyouth_handouts.pdf
This position is part-time (approximately 20 hours per week).
Preference will be given to candidates who submit materials by April 30.
Director, Children’s Religious Education
First Church in Belmont, Unitarian Universalist
First Church in Belmont, Unitarian Universalist, (FCB) is a Welcoming Congregation located 10 miles west of Boston. We are a dynamic and diverse congregation with over 400 members and friends and 90 children participating weekly in our children’s religious education program (CRE). FCB services and CRE classes run September through mid-June each year; August is devoted to planning. Our new Director for CRE (DRE) position will begin August 1, 2014 in preparation for the 2014-15 year.
Job Purpose: To enthusiastically direct a program of pre-K through 8th grade religious education at FCB expressing Unitarian Universalist principles and values through building, positive relationships with members and staff, providing innovative and creative leadership, and maintaining a strong curriculum.
- Set goals for children’s religious education (pre-K through grade 8) and plan curriculum;
- As part of that process, to assess over the 2014-2015 church year the current CRE program, working with the CRE Committee and the Parish Board to make recommendations about its strengths and sustainability;
- Provide leadership to and work collaboratively with CRE Committee around goal setting, religious growth philosophy development, and learning across the age span;
- Recruit, supervise, train and support parent and other adult volunteers for Sunday morning CRE classes;
- Advocate for and publicize CRE program and events;
- Lead “Story for All Ages” during Sunday morning services;
- Write column for The First Church newsletter once every month;
- With Minister and staff colleagues, plan and assist in conducting multigenerational services and special events relating to CRE;
- Plan and implement children’s monthly worship services;
- In collaboration with Youth Programs Director, develop opportunities for youth participation in CRE program;
- Meet with the Senior Minister, staff, and CRE Committee on a regular basis;
- Develop an annual budget for CRE program and report at regular intervals on budget status; maintain CRE records and files;
- Attend conferences and workshops relating to children’s religious education;
- Regularly evaluate FCB’s CRE program with CRE Committee and adult volunteers;
- Recruit, supervise, train and support Religious Education assistant(s);
- Develop and oversee staff and program for nursery care; and
- Maintain equipment and supplies.
- Degree or comparable experience in education or child development with at least 5 years experience in a similar position.
- A well-developed philosophy of Unitarian Universalist religious education; commitment to diversity in religion and religious education.
- Training and experience in curriculum development and implementation, particularly in a UU setting and for different learning styles.
- Demonstrated interest in religious education activities and other programs for children, youth and adults.
- Ability to build strong relationships with members of a large, diverse congregation and staff, work well with others and advocate for CRE program, needs and plans.
- Excellent communication skills: ability to listen and communicate effectively with staff, church leadership, children and their families as well as CRE volunteers.
- Established administrative and organizational skills; management experience a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to build and leverage networks through social media and adopt technologies to approve efficiency in the workplace.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality and know when and to whom to make referrals.
- A sense of humor and ability to be flexible.
This is a 30 hours/week, 12-month position including one month of paid vacation. RE classes are held from early September through mid-June. The incumbent will be expected to use vacation time between mid-June and mid-August and to use the remainder of the summer planning for the upcoming church year. Sundays are an expected part of the DRE’s work hours. Professional meetings and trainings, which may include some weekends, may be attended as appropriate and approved.
The DRE reports to the Senior Minister.
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary and benefits commensurate with experience and qualifications. Benefits include $1000 professional development funds.
Note: In accordance with FCB policy, First Church of Belmont members are not eligible for this position.
Deadline for Applying: May 2, 2014
To apply, please send a letter of interest and resume to:
Children’s DRE Search Committee
c/o Susan Street
First Church in Belmont, UU
404 Concord Avenue
Belmont, MA 02478
FCB is an equal opportunity employer, building strength through diversity.
First Parish in Lexington is seeking a full-time Interim Director of Lifespan Religious Education (DLRE) for the 2014-2015 program year.
The Interim DLRE will
- direct and administer the Religious Growth and Learning (RG&L) Program
- provide leadership for the congregation’s discernment as we transition to a lifespan approach to faith formation with a new DLRE
The Interim DLRE will work in collaboration with the RG&L Committee, the Adult Programs Committee, the Safe Congregation Response Team and program staff.
The Interim DLRE will report to and be supervised by the Parish Minister. Responsibilities include
- overseeing the congregation’s educational programs (Sunday morning RG&L classes for preschool through eighth grade, Sunday evening programming for youths in seventh through twelfth grade, Our Whole Lives, Coming of Age, and adult faith formation classes);
- recruiting and training volunteers;
- supervising paid staff (nursery care givers, RG&L teachers, Youth Programs Coordinator);
- administering budget and registrations.
The successful candidate will have the following qualities and qualifications:
- excellent written and spoken communication skills in the English language
- facility in using social media
- experience in supervising multiple staff members
- UUA interim training preferred
- thorough familiarity with Unitarian Universalism and liberal religious approaches to faith formation
- experience working with all ages (children, youth, young adults, older adults)
- knowledge of human development, adaptive leadership, and the ideas and practices of “full week faith”
- strong organizational and time management skills
- ability to collaborate, inspire others and laugh easily
The range of salary for this exempt position is guided by the fair compensation guidelines of the UUA, and will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
First Parish in Lexington is a friendly and welcoming midsized Unitarian Universalist congregation, currently with 73 children and youth registered in RG&L. Our adult membership is 273, with an average adult attendance on Sunday morning of 135. We are living into our mission to be known in the world for our love, seeking and service. Our RG&L program is somewhat unique in that we have paid teachers in the classroom up to sixth grade, providing continuity and professionalism in our children’s religious formation. Our adult religious education program is being re-imagined as we seek ways to welcome more members of the wider community into the learning life of our congregation. We look forward to working with an Interim DLRE who will spark our imagination to the possibilities of faith and learning in the twenty-first century, within the congregation and beyond.
Applicants should contact the Rev. Peter Boullata at rev [dot] peter [dot] boullata [at] gmail [dot] com with a statement of interest and professional résumé before April 18, 2014.
First Parish in Waltham, a Unitarian Universalist congregation, seeks an acting Director of Lifespan Religious Education to provide religious education programming for all ages. This is an exempt ¾ time (average 30 hours /week, August-June) position. With mutual interest, a successful candidate will be invited to apply for the permanent position. First Parish is a Fair Share Congregation dedicated to paying its staff in accordance with UUA's Fair Compensation guidelines. Salary $24,500 to $27,000 to start. Compensation package to include retirement and health insurance contributions, sick leave, holiday and vacation time. See www.walthamuu.org for job description and more information. Preference will be given to those who send materials by April 30. Send resume and letter of interest to fpwhumanresources [at] gmail [dot] com.
First Parish in Lexington seeks a Youth Programs Coordinator (YPC) to begin immediately for 5-10 hours a week through June, 2014, then continue for 18 hours per week from September 2014 through June, 2015. Responsible for Junior (grades 6-8) and Senior High (grades 9-12) Youth Groups. The YPC is supervised by the DRE. The incoming YPC will be mentored through June 2014 by the current YPC and the DRE (Director of Religious Education).
Click here for a full job description and info on how to apply.
First Parish of Sudbury UU is seeking a Director of Religious Education to serve our welcoming and theologically diverse congregation. We have about 200 members and 50 children and youth. We have a rich history, approaching our congregation's 375th anniversary. Learn more about our enthusiastic community and the collaborative staff with which you would serve.
The DRE position is for 20 hours a week, with the potential to increase hours and incorporate life-span RE as congregation and program grows.
Click here for full job description and info on how to apply.
Seeking a Music Director to support the mission of First Parish in the area of music, coordinating the musical life of the congregation during the regular church year. The Music Director will work with the Music Committee, the minister, and First Parish staff to provide interesting and varied music of high quality that generally supports the worship themes of Sunday services. In addition to regular Sunday services, the Music Director is responsible for planning music for two Christmas Eve services, two Easter Sunday services, and two special music services held during Sunday worship during the church year.
For a full job description and information on how to apply, click here.
Seeking a Children’s Choir Director to establish a weekly rehearsal schedule for children’s choir, work with volunteer accompanists for rehearsals and performances as needed, collaborate with Music Director, Religious Education director and Minister to establish monthly performance times for the children’s choir during Sunday services, select age-appropriate music with content generally supporting service themes.
For a full job description and information on how to apply, click here.
The UU Church of Nashua, NH, is searching for a new Director of Religious Education for the first time in almost 30 years. Chris Parker has been our DRE for 29 years and will be retiring in June. In addition to welcoming a full time interim DLRE this fall, we will also be calling a new settled minister this summer. It is a time of much transition in our congregation, but also a time of great excitement.
For a full description of the DLRE position and instructions on how to apply, please click here.
Seeking a part time Youth Coordinator responsible for the planning and implementation of the Coming of Age program for participants in grades 8-9, and for the planning and implementation of high school Youth Group activities. Coming of Age meets weekly on Sunday mornings, beginning in September 2014. Youth Group meets on a weekly basis on Sunday afternoons.
See full job description here on the congregation's website.
Rather than provide a job description of tasks and responsibilities, we have chosen to introduce the job we seek to fill through narrative. After reading through this narrative, which attempts to paint a picture of our religious education program today as well as our dreams for the future, we hope you will be inspired to learn more.
Check out our DRE Search Packet!
for more information: Kate Stamm, kstamm6 [at] gmail [dot] com
The First Universalist Society in Franklin, MA (FUSF) is seeking a three-quarters time Director of Religious Education (DRE) to lead our religious education program and to provide guidance, support, and organization for our volunteer teaching teams. We are a vibrant, welcoming, and theologically diverse spiritual community of approximately 350 adults and children with a history that stretches back more than 150 years. Our community provides a supportive, nurturing family environment in which we minister to each other under the caring and sensitive guidance of our parish minister. Religious Education takes place in its own building wing. Our worship services are spiritually uplifting, thought provoking, and characterized by music, laughter, and sometimes tears. The selected DRE will be a prime contributor not only to the spiritual health of our existing community but to its growth as well.
In June 2014, our longtime Director of Religious Education will retire. The congregation has chosen to seek an Interim Director of Religious Education for one to two years to manage the program and facilitate a process of reflection, re-imagining, and planning for the future of this highly valued program. There is great anticipation for what is possible.
Please see the complete job description on our website.
Job Desctription in Brief:
To maintain our strong faith development programs for children and youth, to evaluate those programs, and to support our search for a permanent Director of Religious Exploration.
Title: Interim Director of Religious Exploration
Hours: Full-time with flexible schedule including weekends and some evenings Salary: Commensurate with experience, within the UUA guidelines
Term: One church year 2014-2015 with a flexible summer start date
Please see the website for more full job description:
- Contact us
- Join Our Mailing List
- About CBD
- About MBD
- Programs / Trainings
- Justice Ministries
- About UUism
- Transitions & Employment