In alignment with the UUA's Ends, Clara Barton and Mass Bay Districts' justice ministries mission is "to inspire, support and equip congregations to do congregationally-based justice ministry for Beloved Community."
Our vision of justice is rooted in Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s radical statement:
"Power at its best is love implementing the demands of justice. And justice at its best is love correcting everything that stands against love."
The purpose of justice making is always the co-creation of the Beloved Community in which individuals and groups are able to bring their best selves in service of others and the community supports each individual to do so. Thus there is reciprocity between the individual and the community - each exists to support the other to blossom.
Our human failure to act out of love results in systems that do not serve individuals and individuals that do not serve communities. Justice ministry by definition therefore addresses both individual and collective woundedness and works to dismantle barriers to Beloved Community both within and beyond the congregation.
To fulfill our justice ministries mission, district staff
- convenes congregational leaders and groups who seek to learn from each other and/or to do justice ministry together
- communicates with congregations in order to
- share information and resources that support and impact their justice ministries
- deepen individual and collective reflection and analysis on perspectives, issues and strategies for justice ministry
- share stories about justice ministry in our congregations
- educates and coaches congregational leaders who want to increase their congregation's capacity for justice ministry.
If you would like to learn more about how district staff can inspire, support and equip your congregation for justice ministries, please contact Meck Groot, Justice Ministries Coordinator by cbd-mbd-programs [at] uua [dot] org (email) or phone at 617-393-4216.
- Contact us
- Join Our Mailing List
- About CBD
- About MBD
- Programs / Trainings
- Justice Ministries
- Workshop Presentation Materials
- Sabbatical / Ministerial Leave Pulpit Supply
- District Library
- General Interest
- District Chapters of AUUA, UUMA, LREDA, UUMN
- About UUism
- Transitions & Employment