Chalice Lighters - Clara Barton District
The Chalice Lighter Program is a funding program of the Clara Barton District that helps congregations to implement efforts for membership growth. It is a competitive grant program funded by "Chalice Lighter” donors. The Clara Barton District sets criteria for grant applications, notifies congregations about the program, reviews applications, and awards grants. After grantees are chosen, the call goes out for monetary support from pledged Chalice Lighter donors. Within a year of the award, recipient congregations are required to file an assessment report with the district of how funds were used.
Grants are made twice each fiscal year - fall and spring.
View award reports included in the district's Annual Reports for the last four years:
- 2009 Chalice Lighter Annual Report
- 2010 Annual Report - Chalice Lighter section
- 2011 Annual Report - Chalice Lighter section
- 2012 Annual Report - Chalice Lighter section
- 2013 Annual Report - Chalice Lighter section
Download our printable brochure about the program from this link.
Make a secure online contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below. You can use your PayPal account or if you don't have one, use your credit card.
The Benefits to congregations are unlimited! Here are some:
- Assist a congregation to obtain its first professional staff: Minister, Director of Religious Education, Minister of Religious Education
- Increase hours of staff from part time to full time
- Assist a new congregation to lease or obtain space for worship
- Assist a congregation with accessibility projects
- Remodel existing space to accommodate increased membership
- Assist a congregation to make major repairs due to fire, storm, or structural damage
A Chalice Lighter is an individual or a family who, when asked, contributes funds for a specific grant in order to promote growth and extension within the Clara Barton District. The call is answered with a minimum of $20, twice each year. Imagine if 10% of our district membership (635 out of 6,359 members) signed on as Chalice Lighters, at a minimum of $20 per call. That would make available $12,700 for grants twice a year!
To enroll as a Chalice Lighter online, click here. You can make a donation online anytime by clicking the DONATE button on this webpage, or you can just wait for the next call to donate.
Or, sign up by printing out our downloadable pledge card. If you wish to make a payment when mailing in your pledge card (instead of waiting until a call is issued), please make your check for $20 or more payable to the Clara Barton District, (noted CL Pledge in the memo line). Our mailing address is Clara Barton District, 182 Main Street, Watertown, MA 02472.
You may also use a credit card to fulfill your payment by calling the district office at 617-393-4216 or by mailing your credit card information to the district office.
Fall: application deadline - November 15
grant award decision - November 30
Spring: application deadline - April 15
grant award decision - April 22
Notices are sent to ministers and congregational board presidents twice a year alerting them that Chalice Lighter Grant Applications are being accepted. Congregational leaders should visit this link for instructions on how to apply. Here are the basics:
- The congregation fills out the proposal forms for its growth project. The governing board of the congregation votes to approve it, and the application is submitted to the CBD District Office before the deadline.
- The Chalice Lighter Committee reviews the grant applications, approves one or more awards, and sends out a call for funding to the Chalice Lighter donors. After the funds are received, a check is sent to the grantee congregation.
- The amount raised depends on how many Chalice Lighters are active in the District. Our last call raised $1500, and the program has grown past the first milestone of 100 members.
- If not funded, a congregation may re-apply in the next funding round. If a congregation receives a Chalice Lighter grant, it must wait one fiscal year before submitting a new application. ( For example, a grant is received fall 2007 or spring 2008 during the 2007-08 fiscal year. The next time an application could be sent is in the fall of 2009 during the 2009-10 fiscal year.)
Click here for a list of past awards.
For more information, contact the district office:
Judy Murray, District Administrator
cbd-mbd-admin [at] uua [dot] org
- Contact us
- Join Our Mailing List
- About CBD
- About MBD
- Programs / Trainings
- Justice Ministries
- Workshop Presentation Materials
- Sabbatical / Ministerial Leave Pulpit Supply
- District Library
- General Interest
- District Chapters of AUUA, UUMA, LREDA, UUMN
- About UUism
- Transitions & Employment