CBD-Chalice Lighter Grant Application
Applying for a Grant
Chalice Lighter Grant Applications notifications are emailed to congregational board presidents and ministers twice a year. Any existing or newly-forming congregation in the Clara Barton District is eligible for funding if it has a project to develop and implement intentional plans for membership growth.
The congregation fills out the proposal forms for its growth project. The governing board of the congregation votes to approve it, and the application is submitted to the CBD District Office before the deadline.
Applications are reviewed, projects are selected to receive awards, and the call for donations goes out to the Chalice Lighters donors. After the funds are received, a check is sent to the grantee congregations.
The amount raised depends on how many Chalice Lighters are active in the District. Recent calls raised about $2,500 and the program has grown past the first milestone of 100 members.
If not funded, a congregation may re-apply in the next funding round. If a congregation receives a Chalice Lighter grant, it must wait one fiscal year before submitting a new application. For example, if your congregation received a grant during FY10 (July 1, 2009 - June 30, 2010), then your congregation must wait until 7/1/2011 (FY12) before applying again.
Criteria for Chalice Lighter Proposals
- Preference will be given to congregations with Chalice Lighter members.
- Preference will be given to those congregations that are fair share within the UUA and the District.
- Each proposal will be evaluated on how it is tied to goals that advance the growth of the congregation.
- Each proposal will be evaluated on the strength of the commitment of congregational members and resources to carrying out a successful project. (Adequate time, money, volunteers, in-kind services committed to complete or sustain the project.)
- Preference will be given to congregations with members who have attended other UU training opportunities and/or UUA and CBD events (growth, anti-oppression, religious education trainings, NELS, General Assembly, CBD rallies, etc.)
- Preference will be given to congregations where the leadership has viewed the Ideas for Growth DVD, available by request from the district office.
- The congregation receiving the grant will measure the success of its growth efforts and submit a final progress report within a year of being awarded the grant.
Please send all proposals to:
Clara Barton District
email cbd-mbd-admin [at] uua [dot] org
Fall Deadline: October 15
Fall Decision: October 31
For more information:
Please see our brochure (pdf) or contact Judy Murray, District Administrator, cbd-mbd-admin [at] uua [dot] org.
- Contact us
- Join Our Mailing List
- About CBD
- About MBD
- Programs / Trainings
- Justice Ministries
- Workshop Presentation Materials
- Sabbatical / Ministerial Leave Pulpit Supply
- District Library
- General Interest
- District Chapters of AUUA, UUMA, LREDA, UUMN
- About UUism
- Transitions & Employment