Reflections on the Boston Marathon Bombings
"Sacred Ground: The Boston Marathon bombings desecrated a public ritual and a beloved place. No wonder the attack feels so personal." Read the full article in UU World by Rev. John Gibb Millspaugh, CBD/MBD Director of Congregational Development.
Responses to Tragedy at Boston Marathon
In the wake of the bombings at the Boston Marathon finish line, we offer these resources for those seeking spiritual strength, pastoral help and connection:
- The Helpers and the Hope, a prayer by Rev. Sue Phillips set to music and slides by Jessica Ferguson
- "Aftermath" - District Staff newsletter *
- Press coverage of vigils around Boston vigil at Arlington Street Church UU
* The newsletter refers to beloved children's television presenter Fred Rogers as a Methodist minister. In fact, Mr. Rogers was an ordained Presbyterian minister. We regret this error of fact, and that it was not caught before the resources were sent out following the events of April 15th in Boston.
CBD Spring Chalice Lighter Grants
Nine Clara Barton congregations applied for Spring 2013 grants - requests totaled $23,215. Three grants totaling $4,350 will be funded by individual Chalice Lighters who have pledged to donate $20 in response to this call --
- Amherst - $2,000 toward hiring a Youth Coordinator for a bumper crop of coming-of-age youth whose enthusiasm has drawn in new families and revitalized the chuch.
- Hudson/Marlborough - $1,050 to match funds raised by the congregation to promote the Spiritual Growth Center programs geared toward attracting new members to the church.
- Gardner - $1,300 to upgrade their kitchen to satisfy Food Safety Certification Standards and allow them to serve community meals that complement their already successful community gardens outreach program.
Amherst, Gardner, and Hudson/Marlborough are fair share UUA and District congregations with active Chalice Lighter donors.
Become a Chalice Lighter and support these grants by donating here by June 15.
Join us in congratulating our selected UU New England Leap of Faith Congregations! The countdown is on to our program launch on August 16th. The elements are coming together for an unprecedented year of exploration together. Read more about the New England Congregations who'll be involved and watch testimonial videos from the national program.
New Certification Program announced by UUA
In partnership with the UUA, Equual Access, the organization that promotes equality and access for Unitarian Universalists with disabilities, is pleased to announce the creation of a certification program for Unitarian Universalist Congregations. The program, with the working title Disability / Ability Action Program, challenges congregations to welcome, embrace, support, and integrate people with disabilities and their families into our congregations. Its sacred covenant with congregations is that they fully recognize the humanity and gifts of all people. Read more.
Woburn Fund Grant Cycle Moved to Fall 2013
The Mass Bay District's Woburn Fund grant program funding cycle has been moved to the Fall of 2013. MBD is actively working with software developers to design an online application platform that will engage the wider community of Unitarian Universalists in exciting new ways. Funding guidelines will remain focused on growth and innovation in and beyond our congregations. Keep an eye out for application details this coming summer and fall! Meanwhile, if you have questions, contact the sphillips [at] uua [dot] org (Rev. Sue Phillips), District Executive.
Thank You from UU Sandy Relief Fund
Updated Handbook for UU Treasurers and Financial Leaders now available!
Check it out here.
Watch Standing on the Side of Love's Winning Video
Check it out here.
Congratulations to All Souls, New London, CT:
a Breakthrough Congregation!
All Souls Unitarian Universalist Congregation in New London, CT, is among the newest UUA Breakthrough Congregations! Each
year the UUA’s Office of Growth Strategies recognizes a handful of
congregations that have “broken through” barriers to achieve exemplary
The Congregation is highlighted in the Fall edition of the UUWorld in an article entitled "We Know Why We're Here" by Donald E. Skinner. A study guide intended to accompany the article can be accessed here.
We congratulate the folks at All Souls and thank all those who faithfully inspire and promote efforts to grow our movement! May we all learn from each other.
District Workshops and Trainings - Register Now!
Please click here for a complete list of district workshops and trainings being offered this year. Classes like OWL Facilitator training, congregational board and staff orientations, lay leadership development, pastoral care and worship associate seminars. Keep your church vibrant through continuing education! Space is limited, so register now to avoid being closed out.
Youth Ministry Facilitators Initiative
Please visit this link to learn more about our coming initiative to build congregational capacity for exceptional youth ministry across New England!
- Contact us
- Join Our Mailing List
- About CBD
- About MBD
- Programs / Trainings
- Justice Ministries
- Workshop Presentation Materials
- Sabbatical / Ministerial Leave Pulpit Supply
- District Library
- General Interest
- District Chapters of AUUA, UUMA, LREDA, UUMN
- About UUism
- Transitions & Employment
Upcoming in the Districts
Mon, 08/12/2013 - 9:00am
Fri, 08/23/2013 - 6:00pm
Fri, 09/06/2013 - 6:00pm
Fri, 10/11/2013 - 6:00pm
Fri, 11/22/2013 - 6:00pm
Fri, 01/10/2014 - 6:00pm
Fri, 01/24/2014 - 6:00pm
Fri, 04/11/2014 - 6:00pm
Upcoming in Affiliated Organizations
Mon, 07/22/2013 (All day)
Wed, 07/24/2013 (All day)
Sat, 07/27/2013 - 10:00am